Seeing to your oral health requires access to reliable oral health professionals. That is where we can help. At Lovett Dental Kohrville, we strive to be your comprehensive oral health provider. Even though we stress the importance of preventative dental care, we know that there might be emergency oral health issues that arise as well. In some cases, these are addressed using ridge augmentation. If you have been told that you need ridge augmentation services, you need to keep a few important points.
How Do Dentists Decide if Ridge Augmentation Is Needed?
At Lovett Dental Kohrville, we will complete a few steps to decide if dental augmentation is right for you. Often, we recommend that this type of augmentation be combined with a bone graft to improve the health of your jaw. Medical studies have shown that some of the most common reasons why people might need ridge augmentation and bone graft services include:
- There was a lesion that was recently removed from the jaw.
- There was a tooth extraction that took place recently.
- There might be jaw atrophy due to advanced age.
- There could be congenital abnormalities.
- Generalized periodontal inflammation might have taken its toll on the jaw as well.
After taking a thorough history, the dentist might also order x-rays or other digital imaging forms to take a closer look at the jaw. Then, the dentist will plan his or her approach to the surgical site.
What Happens During Ridge Augmentation?
During every ridge augmentation procedure, anesthesia is going to be used. For local procedures, a local anesthetic might be enough; however, there are situations where dentists might prefer to use deep or general sedation using IV medications or nitrous oxide for comfort.
After this, the surgeon is going to clear away the debris from the tooth socket. Then, the chosen graft material will be placed in your jaw. There is also a chance that small titanium screws might also be placed in your jaw to stabilize the graft until it has fused completely with your alveolar ridge. Rest assured that we will answer all of your questions before the procedure takes place at one of our locations!
How Long Does the Recovery Process Take?
After the procedure has finished, we will walk with you during the recovery process as well. Some of the tips that you need to follow during the recovery process include:
- You should keep an eye on your pain. Usually, over the counter, anti-inflammatory medications are used to reduce pain and swelling. If you feel like this is not enough to control your pain, you need to let your dentist know.
- Refrain from spitting or drinking through a straw for the first day or two after the procedure. If this opens the sutures or dislodges the blood clot, you may need to return to the office.
- You should certainly avoid smoking, as this can significantly impair the healing process.
The recovery process tends to take somewhere between six weeks and six months. Different people will heal at different rates, which is why we encourage follow-up visits so that we can monitor your recovery.
Contact the Oral Health Professionals at Lovett Dental Kohrville for Your Ridge Augmentation Needs
If you are looking for help with ridge augmentation services, we are here to help you. At Lovett Dental Kohrville, we have a significant amount of experience that we will use to customize our treatment plans to help you. If you would like to learn more about our treatment services, please contact us today at 832-843-6776, or contact us online to make an appointment with our friendly oral health professionals! We would be honored to help you with all of your dental needs.